When you first get starter locs, it’s imperative to care for them properly! Here are our top 5 tips on how to maintain starter locs:
- Avoid conditioners and detanglers. Any product that is meant to help detangle your hair can cause your starter locs to loosen and unravel.
- Avoid manipulating your locs. We know, all you want to do is touch them! But leave them alone and they’ll be able to grow.
- Shampoo infrequently at first. We recommend shampooing your starter locs every two weeks, but follow the instructions of your loctician.
- Limit the number of hair products you use. The more products you use, the more product buildup you will need to remove from your starter locs. In order to be as gentle as possible and to extend time between washes, try and cut most products out of your regimen during the start loc phase.
- Be patient! It can be frustrating if you see one of your starter locs unraveling or if you keep needing to retwist the locs. But trust the process. Once this phase is through, you will be well on your way to healthy, thriving locs!